All psychologists are legally required to be registered in Australia, which means your psychologist is registered with the Psychology Board of Australia. Dr Jan Heath is a member of the Australian Psychological Society, the largest professional organisation for psychologists in Australia. These safeguards mean that your psychologist is properly trained and ensures that you receive high quality, ethical service.
As a client of an APS psychologist, you have a right to expect that:
- You will be treated with respect at all times
- Your cultural background and language tradition will be respected
- You will be given a clear explanation of the services you will receive
- You will be asked to give your consent for any service provided by your psychologist prior to the service commencing and as it progresses
- You will receive an explanation about the confidentiality of the service and the exceptional situations where your confidentiality may not be protected
- You will receive a clear statement about fees for your psychologist’s services
- There will be a discussion about the estimated number of sessions required to achieve your goals
- You will receive skilled and professional services from your psychologist
- There will be clear goals that you and your psychologist are working toward
- You can ask any questions about the service you are receiving.
If you have any concerns about the above matters, discuss them with your psychologist. If you have concerns about the conduct of your psychologist, you may call either the Psychology Board of Australia on 1300 419 495, or the Australian Psychological Society on (03) 8662 3300.
The Australian Psychological Society Limited PO Box 38 Flinders Lane
Melbourne VIC 8009 Australia
Telephone (03) 8662 3300
Facsimile (03) 9663 6177 www.psychology.org.au